Phoenix Real Estate News: Most Common Home Problems
1. Improper Surface Grading and Drainage: By far the most frequent problem, it is responsible for the most common household aggravations, including water penetration into basements, craw spaces and foundations.
2. Improper Electrical Wiring: A number of respondents found this to be a significant defect. This includes such situations as insufficient electrical service, inadequate overload protection, and amateur (often dangerous) wiring connections.
3. Roof Damage: Ranked third, leaking roofs are a frequent problem. This is caused by old or damaged shingles or improper flashing and drainage.
4. Heating Systems: Defective items in this category include broken or malfunctioning controls, blocked chimneys, and unsafe exhaust disposal.
5. Poor Overall Maintenance: A common problem with all homeowners. Signs of poor maintenance include cracked, peeling or dirty painted surfaces, crumbling masonry, makeshift wiring or plumbing, and broken fixtures and appliances.
6. Structurally Related Problems: As a result of problems in one or more other categories, damage is sustained by such structural components as foundation walls, floor joists, rafters and window and door headers.
7. Plumbing: Though not ranked as a number one problem, plumbing defects still rank high. This includes the existence of old or incompatible piping materials, as well as faulty fixtures and waste lines.
8. Exteriors: Flaws in this category, such as windows, doors, and wall surfaces, rarely have structural significance, but may pose discomfort to the occupants due to water and air penetration. The most common culprits are inadequate caulking and /or weather stripping.
9. Poor Ventilation: In a effort to save energy, many homeowners have “over-sealed” their homes, resulting in excessive interior moisture. Significant moisture can lead to rotting and failure of both the structural and non-structural elements.
10. Miscellaneous: This category includes interior components (often cosmetic in nature) which were so infrequent that they did not rank individually in the survey.
Copyright @ 1995 Pillar To Post Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission. For more informative ideas, visit the web site www.pillartopost.com
Want to know more about the Phoenix Scottsdale home scene? Call or email firstname.lastname@example.org for free info on the following:
*Register for frequent MLS updates on your new Arizona Home
*Disclosure issues affecting Phoenix Home buying
*Shopping, Golf, Sports, Critter Report,ArizonaLiving
*Maxiemize Lifestyle with PhoenixAreaCanadianRealtor 602-738-6597
Mary Maxie, Associate Broker, Desert Dwellers Realty
Frequent updates at my blog www.marymaxie.com